Meta descriptions are not used by search engines ranking algorithms, but they can influence your page’s search ranking, because they directly influence a page’s click-through rate and bounce rate.
This article explains what a meta description is and how to use them for your car website.
Here is an example of a meta descriptions in search results for the phrase – ‘audi cars for sale’.
The text within the red box is an example of a meta description.
A meta description is a short summary of your page.
When a search is performed in Google, it will display below the Page Title the Meta Description. Users will be influenced by this text and whether (or not) they will click through to your website.
How to create a Meta Description on your car website
Most modern website platforms provide options to add both page titles and meta descriptions to your content. (e.g. a specific car page)
But we can’t fully control what Google displays in its search results.
Sometimes Google will show the meta description as you have entered it on your website and other times it may take other sentences from your content that it determines is more appropriate.
9 Tips for a great car website meta description
- Keep it short – we suggest up to 155 characters – but not too short.
- Add a clear call to action encourages users to click through to your website.
- Use ‘active voice’ – e.g. ‘Great deals on used a used Audi today‘
- Use your keywords
- On car pages use some of the key car specifications e.g. ‘2.0 litre, diesel’
- Don’t try and trick Google – keep the meta description relevant to the actual content on the page – or you could be penalised.
- If you can, make your meta descriptions unique. You need to stick out in the crowd
- Google may edit your meta description by cutting off the content – so ensure that your main point is near the front of your description.
- You will want all your pages indexed in Google so don’t use duplicate meta descriptions as this may lead to some of your valuable pages dropping down the rankings.
Meta Descriptions used by car dealers
One way to learn about meta descriptions is to view examples.
We all choose a search result every day to click through to a particular website – so ask yourself why you clicked on one and not another.
Here is a list of the meta descriptions created for the home pages of the top 100 car dealer websites.
Click on car dealer to view more detail.
Car Dealers Top 100 Meta Descriptions
|Car Dealer||Meta Description|
|Yeomans||Visit Yeomans in Devon, East Sussex & West Sussex, established dealership and servicing specialist. Get in touch today to arrange a test drive.|
|Peter Vardy||Huge range of New and Used cars in Scotland, with showrooms in Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Kirkcaldy, Motherwell and Perth. Visit us today or Call 0333 456 0505.|
|Peoples||Visit Peoples in Liverpool & Scotland, established dealership and servicing specialist. Explore our website to browse through our stock and discover our full range of offers. Get in touch today to discover the benefits we provide and book a test drive.|
|Sandicliffe Motor Group||Your local car dealer in the Midlands, offering a wide range of used cars online, new Ford, Mazda and Nissan, servicing and car accessories.|
|Helston Garages Group||Today Helston Garages is one of the 25 largest in Britain, with 37 franchise dealerships throughout Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset.|
|Jardine Motor Group||View New and Used cars from Jardine Motors. Official Dealer for 16 Brands in 60+ Locations across the UK.|
|Vines Group||Visit Vines Group in Guildford, Crawley & Redhill established dealership and servicing specialist. Explore our website and browse through our stock for the full range of offers.|
|Drift Bridge Garage||Visit Drift Bridge Group in Surrey & West Sussex, established car dealer and servicing specialist. Explore our website to browse through our stock and discover our full range of offers.|